Welcome to My Busy Classroom!

Hi Teacher Friends!

Thanks for stopping in! I hope you find something here to help make your job more fun or a little easier. I love to create. If you see something that you like, but it needs a little tweaking to fit your classroom, send me an email: suemteacher@gmail.com I'm happy to customize!

-Sue



Thursday, August 1

Daily Café Menu Bulletin Board Set Freebie





















Hi Friends!


Here is a bulletin board set that includes what you need to teach the Daily Café in your primary classroom. I begin the year with The Literacy Café Menu sign and the 4 other header signs hanging up (C, A, F, E.) Then, as I teach each reading strategy, I add it to the board in the appropriate column. The board grows through the year and hangs as a reminder of the strategies that I hope to see the kids use as they work toward becoming more proficient readers.


Building the board -
I cover my Café board with bright yellow fabric and add a bright pink border. I hang the Café sign in the middle way at the top. Then, I use bright pink yarn to separate the four columns. Then, I hang the other four headings at the top of the four columns. I also add a cardboard denim pocket to the bottom of the board where I keep all the strategy strips. Once the board and strips are set up, all I have to do is pick out the strip of the day, model the strategy, and hang it under the correct heading. So easy!


Here are the 5 headings:


The Literacy Café Menu
C – Comprehension - “I understand what I read.”
A – Accuracy - “I can read the words.”
F – Fluency - “I can read accurately, with expression and I understand what I read.”
E – Expand Vocabulary - “I know how to find and use interesting words.”


Here’s a list of the 32 strategy strips with words and pictures:


Cross checking
Check for understanding
Back up and reread
Use the pictures
Use beginning and ending sounds
Flip the sounds
Blend the sounds
Skip the word - then come back
Chunk the letters and sounds together
Choose good-fit books
Practice high frequency words
Retell the story
Tune in to interesting words
Monitor and fix up
Make a text connection
Make a picture in your head
Ask questions while you read
Predict and confirm
Infer and support with evidence
Use text features
Voracious reading
Reread the text
Use pictures and diagrams
Use word parts to determine meaning
Ask someone to define the word
Use a dictionary or thesaurus
Adjust reading rate to match text
Use punctuation to enhance phrasing
Trade a word
Summarize text
What’s the author’s purpose?
Compare & contrast

Enjoy!
-Sue



1 comments:

  1. Hi Sue,

    I'd like to start by saying that your Blog looks great!!! My name is Martin and I'm a teacher from Canada. I just started a new website called Resources4teaching where educators can buy and sell lessons and educational resources. We are new and are looking for people to join and put up their materials for sale on our website. We are having an iPad draw for the first 100 Vendors who join and upload at least 1 lesson /resource for sale on our website. There are absolutely no fees to join and you get to keep 70% of the profit. You can visit us at: http://www.resources4teaching.com/blog/

    If you know any other teachers who might be interested in this Website, please forward this to them and if you have any questions, feel free to message me.

    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete