Welcome to My Busy Classroom!

Hi Teacher Friends!

Thanks for stopping in! I hope you find something here to help make your job more fun or a little easier. I love to create. If you see something that you like, but it needs a little tweaking to fit your classroom, send me an email: suemteacher@gmail.com I'm happy to customize!

-Sue



Tuesday, January 29

Sound Swatter – A Phoneme Blending Game


Here's a fun phoneme blending game that I use with my emergent readers to help them become more fluent in their decoding and blending skills. My kiddos LOVE this game!


So fun!
Sound Swatter
There are 22 game boards focusing on chunks that begin with each of the vowels. All that you will need a fly swatter!

Here’s what works for me….

I project the game board on our whiteboard. My students are able to work on the game independently while I teach my reading groups. The kids take turns with the fly swatter, tapping on one onset and one rime, while their group-mates say the corresponding sounds. Then, when the “swatter” swats the mosquito (in the middle,) the group blends the segments into a word (or nonsense word.) For a challenge, I have the other kids in the group, give a “thumbs up” if the blended word is a real word, and a “thumbs down” if it’s a nonsense word.

For example: 

/c/ /-at/ cat   thumbs up
/m/ /-at/ mat   thumbs up
/p/ /-im/ pim   thumbs down
/t/ /-og/ tog   thumbs down

This fun game really helps my emergent readers become quicker at blending onsets and rimes. My kiddos love this activity!


0 comments:

Post a Comment